[Web4lib] Labeling on Websites (electronic resources)

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Fri Jun 5 10:49:28 EDT 2009

Hi Cecily.
We've really struggled with this ourselves [ http://www.wdmlibrary.org/
] We use "References/Tools" which I kinda hate to describe our lists of
subject-grouped reference links.  We also avoided the word "research",
but I'm not sure we've hit on anything that works. We have mouse-over
menus on our website, and all the meaty stuff is under "Library
Resources" which annoys me.  Unfortunately, since we were using a web
design company (I hope to take this back over in a couple of years),
much of the menu-ing had to be decided all at once, and cannot be
changed at present.

We did a lot of "Quick Links" to obvious stuff (catalog, calendar, etc.)
to improve navigation.  It helped a bit.  We also struggled with how to
group our downloadable audiobooks and video collections from outside
vendors, and put them under "Downloadable Media"...which almost works.
I think we were more successful with our "Using the Library" and "About
the Library" sets of linkages, as these were more straightforward.

If someone has a really useful, effective term(s) for all those
wonderful pathfinders and links we all create, I'd love to hear it!

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy