[Web4lib] Ustream experiences?

Amy Rogers amy at arosheaf.com
Tue Jul 28 12:18:31 EDT 2009

In addition to John's input, another consideration is to tweet notes
from the session. I can't speak for others, but as a hearing impaired
person, they are invaluable.

Amy

On Jul 28, 2009, at 8:57 AM, John Fereira wrote:

Mary Beth Faccioli wrote:
> I'm interested to hear from anyone who has used Ustream to
> broadcast a live event.  I've looked in the Web4Lib archive and
> found a recommendation for it because it's free, and also an
> anecdote from someone who had a good experience consuming content
> from it.  But I'm interested to hear from anyone who has set it up
> for one's own event, and is willing to share any advice,
> considerations, best practices etc.  Successes and failures alike
> are of interest!
I haven't set up an event to be broadcast but have attended a couple
of events live that were broadcasted on uStream and there are couple
of things that I noticed that should be considered.

Camera placement is important.   Make sure that it's far enough away
that the speaker can be seen as well as the screen upon with a
presentation is projected.
Make sure that the speakers use or wear a microphone.  Even if
everyone in the room might be able to hear the speaker without it,
those watching on ustream.tv might not be able to hear.

The best feature on ustream is the simultaneous chat/twitter
integration.  When I attended a Drupal camp that was being broadcast
on ustream I took it upon myself to monitor the site on my laptop and
would "announce" speakers, "repeat" questions asked by the audience,
and field questions that were asked in the chat/twitter sessions.
Set up a twitter hashtag and/or twitter user account for the event
before hand and publish them on a site somewhere before the event so
that people can "follow" the chat and/or twitter feed.