[Web4lib] Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Jul 22 11:53:12 EDT 2009

> Certainly the digital medium enables mischief that print-era scoundrels
> could only dream of, but what makes the IPR/DRM/etc. debate so addling
> is that both sides, pirates and owners, invoke the same defense: ie.,
> what is logically and morally acceptable is determined by what is
> technologically possible.

This is a very good point. Mostly it's a false move. Although
technology allows me to have sex with a stripper, I don't think my
wife would agree that's a sufficient defense.

But there's rough justice to the idea that, if authors and publishers,
are going to promote a system that allows post facto theft—the
removing of purchased books from Kindles—a little ante factum theft
goes with the territory.

Tim