[Web4lib] RE: Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Tue Jul 21 14:24:11 EDT 2009

Yes, the point isn't that they were legal—they were only legal in some
countries, not in others—the point is that buying a book that contains
a copyright violation does not, in the real world, entitle the
bookseller to enter your house and repossess the book, let alone take
and destroy the notes you took about the book.

So, with respect, the problem isn't fact checking. The problem is the facts.

The danger is that capabilities like this end up eroding our
expectations of book privacy. That expectation is a cultural thing,
built up over centuries and central to, well, western culture. It
doesn't extend past books as easily: Apple has used, a similar "kill
switch" on a number of apps it didn't like; but people don't have
quite the same expectations for an iPhone app., so the fuss was more
muted. If we let that sort of attitude take hold here, we may well
wake up in a world where where our books change and even vanish
without a trace, for any number of reasons.

The ability to delete something at any time, and to go after the
reader, rather than the author and publisher, are new. Consider the US
justice system's strong bias against preliminary injunctions on
documents that end up being clear violations of one law or another.
Publishers and authors are responsible, but nobody destroys books
until the case is decided, and nobody goes out and collects all the
violating copies from innocent readers either. So, for example, when
Daniel Elsberg was indicted for leaking the Pentagon Papers, nobody
worried all the copies out there would suddenly vanish.

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding