[Web4lib] RE: Thin clients in training rooms--thanks

Bill Hudson bhudson at lancasterlibraries.org
Tue Jul 21 10:13:34 EDT 2009

Just a quick thank you to all that replied to my inquiry. Sounds very doable so we'll start working on that grant application!
Bill
Bill Hudson
Deputy Administrator/Manager, IT
Library System of Lancaster County
1866 Colonial Village Lane, Suite 107
Lancaster, PA 17601
www.lancasterlibraries.org

Greetings all,
We have 18 buildings where everyone wants to have some sort of PC training facilities. A few have dedicated training rooms, while a few others use laptops in an all-purpose rooms on demand. Other libraries just don't have the funds for laptops to be used for training. On top of that, maintaining laptops is more work than always connected desktops and the thought of adding another 50/60 laptops to our infrastructure really doesn't appeal to me.

To solve some of these problems and reduce per site licensing and maintenance costs, we are toying with the idea of using thin clients for training, with a Citrix or VMware backend. If you've used thin clients in a training environment, particularly with computer neophytes, I'd be really interested in hearing about your experiences.
Thanks,
BH

Bill Hudson
Deputy Administrator/Manager, Information Technology
Library System of Lancaster County
1866 Colonial Village Lane, Ste. 107
Lancaster, PA  17601
717-207-0500 ext. 1269