[Web4lib] Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Stevens, Julieanne H. jhsteven at law.stetson.edu
Mon Jul 20 20:42:38 EDT 2009

Orwell/Blairs's works are a bad example to test the waters with all "this." He passed his copyright to a corporation while he was still alive and various persons manipulated the rights and ownership interest in the company over the ensuing years. I believe that his estate is the majority shareholder in the company now.  It is, and has been, a large legal mess to  deal with the rights to any of his works. For example, 1984 is in the public domain in some countries, but not in the U.S.

Juju Stevens

Julieanne Hartman Stevens
Electronic Services and Reference Librarian
Stetson University College of Law
Law Library
1401 61st Street South
Gulfport, Florida 33707
"People read books in order to gain the privilege of living more than one life." --Garrison Keillor
P Think Green - don't print this email unless you really need to