[Web4lib] Windows Steady State

Riesner, Giles GRIESNER at ccbcmd.edu
Wed Jul 15 16:36:34 EDT 2009

We DON'T use Steady State but have been using comparable products.

Here in the Library we used Fortres101 for a while then the College moved to using
Centurion Guard (hardware & software)/Drive Shield (software only) and are talking about
possibly moving to Deep Freeze.

All of them basically do the same thing: impose restrictions and keep the PCs from having
a bunch of student files saved on them, wiping those files and returning the PC on restart
to a given state. This is great.

Windows Steady State is Microsoft's entry in this group and has a price advantage (free).

We've been generally happy with the products we've used and would readily recommend any of them.
Nothing is totally problem free, but any problems with any of them have been easily enough solved
and we've had decent support for them.

I'd say go for it, give it a try.  If it doesn't do what you want, look at the other similar
products out there and see if one of them would better suit you.

On machines that we want to be strictly catalog PCs we've simply got restrictions set up in IE
in the proxy to allow only the library catalog and then restrictions that lock down IE via a reg
file (we have one to restrict it and another to turn the restrictions off when we need to make
changes.) No word processing, etc. -- just the browser on the PC.  Anyone who wants a copy of our
reg files is welcome to them.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr. | Library Tech Support
The Community College of Baltimore County | 800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
Phone: 1-443-840-4245  |  Fax: 1-443-840-4606  |  E-Mail: griesner at ccbcmd.edu
CCBC. The incredible value of education.