[Web4lib] RE: Windows Steady State (Bill Coffey)

Kelly Fann kfann at leavenworth.lib.ks.us
Wed Jul 15 12:56:21 EDT 2009

Bill,

I am currently using Steady State for our card catalog computers. So far,
I've been relatively pleased with it. It seems to be a consolidated version
of a various XP registry "hacks" that I would usually implement to turn
computers into kiosk mode. There have been a lot of books published in the
past discussing the hacks in great detail. It appears that Microsoft finally
got on the ball and created a program to make it a bit more point-and-click.
There's still a few minor bug issues, which I'd be happy to discuss with you
offline if you'd like. They're more annoyances than anything else and I have
found workarounds for them. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with it.
Honestly, the main feature I appreciate is how extremely easy it was to make
the only desktop icon patrons can see and use is IE, and the only website
they can access from IE is our card catalog. Nothing else is available to
them beyond the log off function from the start menu. Hope that helps!

Kelly Fann, MLS
Technology Coordinator/Systems Administrator
kfann at leavenworth.lib.ks.us

Leavenworth Public Library
417 Spruce Street
Leavenworth, KS 66048