[Web4lib] question about equipment and software for tutorials creation

Ellie Dworak elliedworak at boisestate.edu
Thu Jul 9 15:23:04 EDT 2009

Colleagues -

I've searched the list and found message threads about creating media labs,
but not so much on equipment for media creation in-house.

Here's our situation. We have grant money to spend on equipment for the
creation of tutorials. This includes hardware and software, but not the
server. It will be shared amongst librarians. We're investigating options
and I'm just seeking some input.

We're looking at the following equipment and software:

* A high end laptop loaded with media software, to share amongst the
librarians.

* Camtasia 6 for screencasting.

* Adobe Premier Elements for video editing

* Video camera

* Webcam

* Microphone

* Hard drive for use as a scratch disc

* Cart or bags to carry equipment

I'm new to this, and I don't want to make a mistake. We're consulting with
campus experts, but I'm wondering:

* are we missing anything here

* what should I beware of (I know to look out for cameras that require
proprietary output formats, for instance)

* are there resources I should be consulting (for specs, reviews, etc.?)

Your help is most appreciated. I am happy to consolidate for the list if you
reply to me directly.

I'll be happy to summarize for the list if you email me directly.
Ellie Dworak
Reference Services Coordinator
Boise State University, Albertsons Library
208-426-1623 | elliedworak at boisestate.edu