[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 3 07:34:27 EDT 2009

B.G. Sloan wrote:
> All this discussion about e-mail lists made me curious. I know I've actively participated in e-mail discussion groups for a while now, but I wasn't sure how long I'd been doing it.
>
> I did some digging around in list archives and discovered that this coming October 3 will mark the 20th anniversary of my active participation in e-mail lists! I posted my first note to a list (PACS-L) on October 10, 1989.
I don't think I know when I first joined an email list but I know that I
was participation in forums in 1985 as that was when I first started
working as a systems administrator and had as one of my
responsibilities, maintaining the usenet server for Hewlett Packards
workstation division.

My first email address did not have an @ sign in it.  I was formally
known as hpda!hpdsla!johnf