[Web4lib] Re: Dewey or Don't We or Books and Oranges

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 18:21:22 EST 2009

Comparing a library scheme with a grocery store is comparing books with
oranges. Books are not the product, they are the product containers. Do
you know what is inside a book in a pile of books twenty yards away without
a catalog? Do you know what is inside an orange in a pile of oranges twenty
yards away?  What we need are better OPACs.

Can we rethink the OPAC?  What about having a voice activated or even a
breath activated interface?

Here is a great site to help you start imagining the possibilities - I got a
huge kick out of it:

http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/#research