[Web4lib] facebook for libraries

Chris Bourg mchris at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 12 12:26:30 EST 2009

We waiting until the "page" option was available, and have done a
combination of word-of-mouth, a 1-week ad, and talking it up in BI sessions.
Full story of our experience at: Our Library Facebook page
<http://chrisbourg.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/our-library-facebook-page/>.
We currently have over 425 fans.

Chris

Amanda Powers wrote:
> We started with library employees and student workers in Fall 2007 with a Group, and now we have more than 350 Fans (we migrated to a fan page in Spring 2008).  They "find" us through various means, including BI sessions where we mention we have a Fan page.
>
> Amanda Clay Powers
> Mississippi State University Libraries
> apowers at library.msstate.edu

> I disagree, If you pull in all the employees or others affiliated with the
> library, it is often the best way t start spreading the word about your
> library.
>
> Brian Gray
> mindspiral at gmail.com
>

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Sharon Foster <fostersm1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You certainly wouldn't want to do that for your library's Facebook
>> page in any case. The point of an institutional Facebook page is for
>> your "fans" to find you. Letting Facebook find them for you based on
>> your email contacts is a little like grabbing people off the street
>> and dragging them into the library.
>>
>> Sharon M. Foster, 91.7% Librarian
>> Speaker-to-Computers
>> http://www.vsa-software.com/mlsportfolio/
>> (Caution, floating divs ahead! Please let me know about any
>> browser-dependent weirdness you encounter.)

Chris Bourg
Head, Information Center
Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources
http://infocenter.stanford.edu