[Web4lib] facebook for libraries

Casey Bisson cbisson at plymouth.edu
Tue Feb 10 08:54:06 EST 2009

I'd be cautious about this step:

> First search your email address book to see which of your friends
> are already on Facebook by entering your webmail login information.

Entering your Gmail login credentials (or any other usernames &
passwords) at a third-party site is an invitation to trouble. Doing so
allows the third-party service complete and unrestricted access to
your entire account, and this has often been used to distribute spam
or malware.

It may seem convenient, but teaching people to do this teaches them to
be phished. Jeremy Keith explains it better than me:

http://adactio.com/journal/1357

Casey Bisson

Information Architect
Plymouth State University