[Web4lib] RE: CNN streaming video

Robert Malesko maleskonk at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 15:36:11 EST 2009

Aside from the issue of whether CNN is purposely obfuscating what Octoshape is or does or if users should just be better informed, the method might have a lot of advantages.

A decentralized distribution approach for live video coverage makes sense. P2P and other forms of swarming and/or decentralized distribution have certainly proven themselves in other uses -- in many cases it's given me faster transfer times than any other protocol. It's not as if P2P network distribution in and of itself is inherently bad in that it (necessarily) degrades performance or increases your bill, article bullet-points aside.

If (a big if, perhaps) users are informed, if they agree, and if it makes for better quality and/or more accessible live coverage, well then why not? I believe you can get the live feed without having to use Octoshape.

-Rob Malesko

Today's Topics:

   2. RE: CNN streaming video (UNCLASSIFIED) (Wilfred Drew)

Many people who watched live streaming video of the inauguration of U.S.
President Barack Obama on Jan. 20 may not realize that their PC was used
to send the video to other PCs, too. Clicking "yes" to a CNN.com
dialog
box installed a peer-to-peer (P2P) application that uses your Internet
bandwidth rather than CNN's to send live video to other viewers. Read
more >
http://windowssecrets.com/2009/02/05/01-Watch-a-live-video-share-your-PC
-with-CNN