[Web4lib] City blocking suspected 'criminal' networks

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Mon Feb 2 14:22:41 EST 2009

This isn't exactly identical to your situation, but for a while our
patron feedback form was getting a lot of spam advertising porn and
virus sites. As a temporary patch I blocked the IP addresses for all the
major Russian and Chinese ISPs, and 90% of the spam stopped. I later
replaced the script with something I had written that was more secure
and did some serious data validation, and undid the blocking. Unless our
patrons were trying to reach us while they were out of the country, I
don't think anyone legitimately using the form was impacted.

Honestly, if the Wikipedia article is correct, I'm not certain how a
legitimate business could buy hosting from this company.

"The business is difficult to trace. It is not a registered company, and
its domains are registered to anonymous addresses. Its owners are known
only by nicknames. It does not advertise, and trades only in untraceable
electronic transactions."

I think the city may be doing your staff member a favor. It is possible
that the birdseed company in question is engaged in some sort of
nefarious activity such as money laundering.

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian
Marin County Free Library