[Web4lib] Camtasia studio & mobile phones -- problem?

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Dec 1 14:22:56 EST 2009

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Bruce Jensen wrote:

> Greetings.  Has someone successfully used Camtasia Studio to create MP4s for
> mobile phones?  I'm having no luck with it--the files do come out fine when
> rendered for the iPhone, but those I try to produce as 320x240 mp4 files tie
> my (non-i-) phone in knots.  All I get is "File has incorrect data."
>
> I'm guessing there's something I'm missing?

My son Tim Rasmussen has done some work on websites delivering video to
mobile phones. He and I have discussed it enough that I know it's not
trivial! There are considerable differences in devices, models, OS
versions, browser versions, etc., including:

* Some can stream video, some can only download and then play.
* Different video file formats may be required.
* Different screen sizes may require different files.
* There are many variations within MP4, I believe.

Adding to the confusion:

* The device doesn't directly tell the web server what it needs.
* Everything is constantly changing.

If you'd like to consult with him on this, his email is in the CC's.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA