[Web4lib] link checkers

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:48:54 EDT 2009

I used Xenu to manage links for a large corporate catalog and found it slow,
redundant, and
a great example of getting what you pay for. :)

Although it is not primarily for checking links, the Zoom Search
Engine<http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/>tool from Wrensoft is
most likely one  of the most valuable and versatile spiders and search
engine building
tools on  the  market.  It is used by HP, IBM and Porsche to manage their
resources.

One of the byproducts of indexing is locating all errors and broken  links
in the site.
This includes identifying images  lacking meta-descriptions. Generate the
report to
a text file and correct the errors. Very simple. Very low cost. Zoom
supports multiple
platforms and lets you create elegant, customized search pages weighting the
results with your  own algorithm.

HTH
R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm