[Web4lib] Jrnl American Chem Soc (JACS) -Beta > Mobile > Table Of Contents / Articles

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Aug 10 16:57:22 EDT 2009

Colleagues/

Thanks to an Anonymous Post on My _Mobile Libraries_ Blog I Have Learned
That The American Chemical Society (ACS) Has Begun A Major
Mobile-Oriented Initiative For Its Publications >

The First Is A Mobile Project Involving The Journal Of The American
Chemical Society (JACS) >>>

Mobile Table of Contents (TOC)

The goal of this beta project is to create the most useful and enjoyable
mobile experience possible. Specifically, this project focuses on
browsing Tables of Contents.

[snip]

So we have created a TOC that allows you to mark the articles you're
interested in for viewing later on your desktop or laptop computer.

Mobile Article

The goal of this beta project is to create the most useful and enjoyable
mobile experience possible. Specifically, this project focuses on
formatting an article for viewing on a mobile device.

Supported Devices

All mobile devices with a web browser should be able to view both the
Mobile TOC and the Mobile Article, but the full functionality of the
Mobile TOC is limited to more modern mobile web browsers that have
JavaScript turned on.

The full Mobile TOC functionality has been verified to work with the
iPhone/iPod Touch and most Blackberry models (using the free Opera Mini
browser*). In addition, the Mobile TOC should also work with phones
running on the Google Android platform and any mobile phone that can run
the Opera Mini browser.

ADDITIONAL INFO AVAILABLE

FAQ / JACS Mobile TOC Project

JACS Beta Mobile Projects

The goal of these beta projects is to create the most useful and
enjoyable mobile experience possible. Over time, the list of mobile
projects will grow as we explore how to best represent the different
parts of the ACS Publications website in a mobile format.

Mobile Table of Contents Project

Mobile Article Project

In-Depth Instructions

About the JACS Beta

Appropriate Links Available At

[ http://tinyurl.com/ltujyp  ]

BTW: If You Are Aware Of Similar Initiatives, Please Comment On The
"Mobile Access Databases And/Or e-Journal And/Or eBook Collections?"
Entry At

[ http://tinyurl.com/mgeztm  ]

Thanks!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

 There Are No Answers, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed /
Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace