[Web4lib] controlling bad design

Sharon Foster fostersm1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:25:43 EDT 2009

Since there are so many ways to go wrong, it's easier to nail down
what is allowed. If your web editing tools don't allow you to make
these restrictions happen, then do it with an old-fashioned written
style sheet, like you did previously. E.g., The course syllabus shall
be in 12-pt Ariel, black... Do not use animated GIFs... Dialog box
questions shall be phrased as yes/no questions, and buttons shall be
named "Yes," "No," and "Cancel." Etc. I wouldn't offer any
explanations for the rules, but that's just me. ;-) I had many of
these discussions when I was a software engineer writing in C, and
they can easily turn into religious wars if you let them. There is
more than one "right" way to format code/web pages, but the important
thing as far as your readers/users are concerned is consistency. I'd
even be prepared to concede a few points if it results in people
following the style sheet consistently.

Sharon M. Foster, JD, MLS
Librarians bring order out of chaos.
http://www.vsa-software.com/mlsportfolio/