[Web4lib] Re: Google News Timeline

IsisInform at aol.com IsisInform at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 16:57:02 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone --

Thanks to Brian for his response.  Here is the text of my private  message
to him:

The database offers three sort methods: date, source and  relevance.  All
three sorts deliver the results in page number order,  however the database
does not indicate that the sort is actually in page  number order.  It's a
matter of clarity and usability.

For Bill's second response, we have a continued misunderstanding.  I  am
not discussing relevance in general.  I am discussing relevance  when all
items have equal relevance.

Thanks very much to Heather for her defense of an open dialogue and to Bill
 for his apology.  I want to assure you that I am not cooled by Bill's
first message but instead see it as an opportunity to return to the primary
point of my original post, the lead sentence in the News Timeline  article:
"At Google, we spend a lot of time thinking about how to organize
information."

As a taxonomy consultant who began developing  subject-specific
organizational structures 30 years ago, I also  spend a lot of time thinking about how
to organize information.  That lead  sentence by Google is especially
important since we have recently been  experiencing an assault on organized
structures.

One example is the book Everything Is Miscellaneous by David  Weinberger,
who is so eager to dismiss the value of organizing that  he resorts to false
spin tactics.  This is discussed further  in my _February  Searcher _
(http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/feb09/index.shtml) magazine article, "Beyond
Findability:  Organizing Information in the Age of the Miscellaneous."  The
main  theme of the article is the value of organized structures for  purposes
additional to findability.

It is refreshing to see Google acknowledge the importance of organizing
methodology by placing that concept in the lead sentence of their article
about chronologic presentation.

Thanks,

Katherine
Katherine  Bertolucci