[Web4lib] New Roles for Libraries on Agenda @ Digital Dilemmas Symposium

Jason Kucsma jkucsma at metro.org
Fri Apr 3 12:12:18 EDT 2009

** please excuse any cross-posting **

Times are certainly tough for libraries in this economic climate.  It
has never been more important for us to think about how we can
strategically position our institutions to emerge from this crisis as
continued cornerstones of the communities we serve. More than simply a
discussion about digital information resources, the Digital Dilemmas
Symposium will give librarians and administrators an opportunity to join
leading scholars in thinking strategically about changing community
expectations and how our libraries might adapt and flourish under these
conditions.

Digital Dilemmas Symposium: Challenges, Opportunities, Solutions
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\mcortes\Local%20Settings\Temporar
y%20Internet%20Files\OLK1CF\Digital%20Dilemmas%20Symposium:%20Challenges
,%20Opportunities,%20Solutions>

When: Thursday, April 16, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Check-in and light
breakfast begin at 8:30 a.m.)

Fee: $125 METRO members and students; $175 nonmembers

Location: William and Anita Newman Conference Center at Baruch College,
151 East 25th Street in Manhattan

Register for this symposium: http://bit.ly/xJF0

Digital Dilemmas is a full-day symposium that brings together nationally
recognized experts who will outline the primary challenges facing
libraries in a digital world; provide an understanding of the digital
information economy and its effect on scholarship; and suggest future
opportunities for libraries.

The symposium, which is hosted by METRO and sponsored in part by OCLC,
will provide librarians and library administrators with the opportunity
to learn from leaders in the field and network with colleagues from the
region working to address these challenges and seize potential
opportunities.

Presenters include Clifford Lynch (Director, Coalition for Networked
Information), Evan Owens (Chief Technology Officer, Portico), Roger
Schonfeld (Research Manager, Ithaka), Patricia Aufderheide (Director,
Center for Social Media, American University), and Dan Cohen (Director,
Center for History and New Media, George Mason University).

View a detailed description of the symposium agenda:
http://bit.ly/110erG

For more information, contact Jason Kucsma, Emerging Technologies
Manager, at (212) 228-2320 Ext 23 or jkucsma at metro.org.

Jason Kucsma
Emerging Technologies Manager
Metropolitan New York Library Council
57 E11th Street | NY, NY 10003-4605
p: 212.228.2320 x. 23 | f: 212.228.2598
www.metro.org <http://www.metro.org>

::: Digital Dilemmas Symposium - April 16, 2009 :::
http://bit.ly/110erG

::: LibCampNYC - June 3, 2009 :::
http://libcampnyc.pbwiki.com