[Web4lib] Drupal / LibGuides / Library a la Carte question

Angela Boyd angela.boyd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 02:16:20 EDT 2009

So I have some more questions for you all.  For some background info,
we're in the very very beginning exploratory stage of migrating our
web pages to Drupal.  We still need to hire a web programmer and we're
hoping to redesign our whole website.  We're going to be doing some
theming and web site analysis.  However, we need to get some subject
guides up by Fall Quarter.  Our librarians are most able to work on
these guides over the summer so we'd like to have them able to access
and create starting  around July or so.

So the biggest question I have is whether anyone has ever tried to
migrate LibGuides or Library a la Carte data into Drupal.  We realize
Drupal is a great CMS and ideally, in the end, it will all meld
together within Drupal.  We'll probably have Drupal themed subject
guides but that's at least a year away.  So the thought is to create
subject guides now with one or the other and then do a data dump into
Drupal with a little coding and tweaking later on.

Other questions include: How long did it take you to set up the Lib
Guides or Library a la Carte so that your Librarians could start
creating their own guides?  Our tech guys are very strapped for time
so this one is also a biggie.

Is there a clean separate theme layer or was everything in one bucket?

How much programming did it involve to tweak everything?  How much
programming and sysadmin time is needed for maintainance?

And lastly, would be ok for our tech guys to contact your tech guys?

Thanks everyone!

Angela Boyd
co-Web Services Librarian @ UCSB Library