[Web4lib] Dial-a-Story Digital Format -- Phone, Web, and Podcasting

Heather Smith blueskies7788 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 03:58:59 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Our library is trying replace our archaic answering machine cassette player Dial-a-story system with new technology, probably something that goes beyond the typical voicemail system.  We'd prefer using a digital format that could be used for a phone system and also perhaps create podcasts of the stories.  Thus, we would like to provide audio story access by phone, web page (MP3 sound clips), and iTunes.  Can anyone recommend any products? Several people have recommended Tumble Books, which is a great audio/visual product that is accessible via the computer.  We already own a similar product, BookFlix.  But we'd like to come up with an audio only format, especially the phone, which is easily accessible for lower income kids who don't own computers.  And along these lines, we'd like to provide a similar audio experience via our library's web page (MP3 audio clips), and through an iTunes podcast.  One of my colleagues is enthusiastic about the potential of
 a product called Guide by Cell which the Library of Congress uses for their phone tour.  Does anyone have any experience with this product and how well it works as a dial-a-story product? Here's the web site for this product:  http://www.guidebycell.com/gbc/

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Heather