[Web4lib] Google Chrome - Observations

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Sep 4 16:26:30 EDT 2008

I haven't seen anything refer to this but I expect part of the Google Chrome
plan was to make gOS a more complete Google product.  gOS is a ubuntu
derivative and using one of the linux dock applications to make it look more
like an MAC desktop.

  There is a Sylvania G Netbook Notebook about the size of the EEEPC that
comes with gOS but many reviews include installing XP on it and then it runs
about twice as fast, see:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3747065&sku=D516-7001&srkey=sylvania%20g%20notebook

The price has dropped from $399.99USD to $309.99USD since July.

Now the gOS 3 Gadgets BETA lets you put Google gadgets on the desktop.

http://www.thinkgos.com/

You can download a CD ISO which can run live or install to your machine.

Thomas

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 14:18, Bill Drew wrote:
> [http://www.google.com/chrome/]
> Google Chrome is a great browser for a beta version. I have yet to
> find
> any page that it can't handle, including many of the adminstrative
> pages for setting up databases and administering our services. These
> usually tend to be problematic. It is also forcing me to work in a
> slightly different manner with more reliance on web based things such
> as the native post editor in Blogger. I find myself missiing lots of
> the features within several FireFox add ons I use such as ScribeFire.
> wrote this post using the BlogThis bookmark javascript. It is only a
> basic editor. I will look for some better web based editors that will
> work with Blogger. If someone uses exclusively web based programs such
> a Google Docs and others, Google Chrome is the perfect browser.

> Wilfred (Bill) Drew, M.S., B.S., A.S.
> Assistant Professor
> Librarian, Systems and Tech Services
> Tompkins Cortland Community College  (TC3) Library:
> http://www.tc3.edu/library/
> Dryden, N.Y. 13053-0139
> E-mail: dreww at tc3.edu
> Phone: 607-844-8222 ext.4406
> AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
> Online Identity: http://claimID.com/billdrew
> StrengthsQuest: Ideation, Input, Learner, Activator, Communication
> http://www.facebook.com/people/Bill_Drew/

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/