[Web4lib] SecondLife Was: Campus without library (warning: long post)

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Mon Nov 24 21:03:48 EST 2008

Hi Steve,

You wrote:
> I confess that I was fascinated by my initial
> Second Life experience and found a lot to like, but I also quickly
> concluded that it was at best a precursor of what is coming.  On top
> of that, the bandwidth demands of the environment remain enormous and
> stability is still an issue.

I totally agree with you. That said, I firmly believe that SecondLife is
the best virtual platform currently available for any type of academic
project. Based on my limited experience there (18 months, with
a bit more than 2,500 hours inworld) I'm convinced that
SecondLife shines as a place for networking, collaboration, and
discussion. Attending a meeting or class inworld is a shared experience
that far surpasses anything I've experienced with other online meeting or
class management software.

Other online environments, including video chat, leave me feeling as
though I'm sitting alone by my computer, communicating with people who
are far away. On SecondLife, as you point out, I feel as though we're
all in the same room.

SecondLife has an enormous drop-out rate - the vast majority of people
who create avatars and try it out seem to give up within the first hour
or two. I'm not sure what makes some of us stay.

In my case, I think it was because I joined SecondLife with the goal of
attending an inworld meeting about SecondLife libraries that was hosted
by Alliance Library System. I knew barely enough to be able to follow a
teleport link and sit down, and my little Dell laptop was certainly not
well-suited for the task, but I was amazed by the way SecondLife makes
you feel as though you are sitting next to professional
colleagues from all over the United States and all over the world.

Later I took some inworld classes through the University of Illinois,
and I was impressed by how much better the experience was than other
online classes I've attended. Around that same time, I began
attending meetings of the Information Literacy Group,
which is based at Sheffield University in the UK. Thanks to these
starting points, I now have a group of professional colleagues and
friends that extends all over the world. It means a great deal to me,
especially since I run a one-person library on a satellite campus and
am rather isolated.

I haven't seen you inworld, so I hope I haven't missed you when you
stopped by the Steelhead Public Library. If so, please IM me the next
time you are inworld. Riven was very busy this weekend attending a
series of formal balls celebrating 12 different SecondLife communities.
I find I spend a great deal of time at events in Steelhead and neighboring
virtual communities, just as most real life library directors spend a
good deal of time attending community events in the town where their
library is located.

You wrote:
> ...while its fun to play with your appearance...it does
> not always have the effects hoped for.  A shy person remains somewhat
> shy even if they are able to look incredibly attractive

Yes, I find that although Riven looks nothing like me (much younger
and more attractive) she is pretty much still me. However I've also
noticed that I seem to carry quite a bit of her back into real life
with me -- I smile a lot more now and tend to view strangers as
potential friends. Many of my inworld friends are people I would
probably never have become close to in real life, but SecondLife
allows us to bypass common barriers like age and personal
appearance.

My friend Tom Boellstorff, whom I met on SL, has a good deal to say
about this in his book "Coming of Age in Second Life: An Anthropologist
Explores the Virtually Human" (Princeton Univ. Press, 2008). Any academic
who is considering using SL as the platform for a project would
benefit from reading this book.

You wrote:
> Just as in real life you will find that library patrons
> are mostly a self-selected group not necessarily reflective of society
> at large.  On the other hand, anyone truly comfortable in a library is
> also someone who is part of the intellectual continuity of society...
> I suspect overall, however, that what you have found and will
> continue to find, is that libraries and churches have some things in
> common.  They meet certain social as well as intellectual/emotional
> needs.

Sorry, I don't agree with you here. I can't see that my library patrons are
"a self-selected group not necessarily reflective of society at large"
except in the obvious way this is true of all SecondLife residents.
I'd say they are quite representative of the online community of
Steelhead. Some are serious users and supporters of real life libraries.
Others haven't set foot in a real life library in years.

Nor do I think my library has much in common with a church. We don't
have any churches in Steelhead, but there are many on SecondLife.
People don't come to me for spiritual guidance, and the profusion of
social activities available on SecondLife means they have no need to come to
the library if they want social interaction. There's something else
going on here, but I'm still not sure exactly what it is. I suspect it
may be plain old intellectual curiosity. :-)

Looking forward to meeting you and continuing this discussion inworld :-)

Jean Hewlett, MLIS
Regional Librarian, University of San Francisco

aka Riven Homewood
Director, Steelhead Public Library
Steelhead City, SecondLife
Riven Homewood's activities on SecondLife are done on my own time and do
not officially represent the University of San Francisco.