[Web4lib] Wireless WAN

Coral Hess coral.hess at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 11:52:47 EST 2008

Kevin,

Find out what frequency and what protocol they are using (WiMAX?). I
agree with Bill: if the frequency is in licensed spectrum, you should
be A-OK--but that tends to get pricey. Even if it's in unlicensed
spectrum, as long as it isn't 2.4GHz and you're not in a busy wireless
area, you might be all right.

Is yours the Cass District Library in Michigan? If so, it looks like
it's 5 or so miles between a couple of your branches. WiMax can work
at that distance, if it's fairly flat and not super full of buildings;
how high up are they putting the antennas?

I'm with Bill on one more point: I used to be a wireless engineer, but
I still prefer wired connections when I can get them. :)

--
Coral Hess
Proto-librarian