[Web4lib] HathiTrust Releases Experimental Full-Text Search Feature: Approximately 350, 000 Public Domain Works Included

John Weise jweise at umich.edu
Mon Nov 10 11:10:42 EST 2008

HathiTrust Releases Experimental Full-Text Search Feature:
Approximately 350,000 Public Domain Works Included

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ls

HathiTrust is currently experimenting with large-scale full text
searching as part of an effort to create a mechanism to search across
the entire repository. As an initial public beta of full text search
functionality, we are offering a simple mechanism to search across all
of the fully viewable works (both those in the public domain and those
for which we have permissions) and a sprinkling of search-only works
(i.e., in-copyright works where we may not show the text of the work).
The size of the content indexed is approximately 500,000 volumes, and
the majority of the works are fully viewable. Although this is a fully
functioning and reliable search mechanism for these works, we provide
it as a public beta in order to learn more about these large search
indexes in a public setting.

More information on our process to explore issues in this area is
available in the HathiTrust.org large-scale search report.

http://www.hathitrust.org/large_scale_search

Please visit http://www.hathitrust.org/ to learn more about the
HathiTrust Shared Digital Repository.