[Web4lib] New branch library with cool stuff

Scott, Tina tscott at portsmouthva.gov
Fri May 30 09:38:06 EDT 2008

Hi,

Our library system is getting a new 20,000 sq. ft. library next year and I am querying this list to see if there are other libraries using the technology that we want to install.  We currently use Pharos to allow patrons to sign up for computers and print their own jobs.  Currently we have a dual monitor set up with the queue displaying on the top screen and patron signup on the bottom.  This works for now, but if you can't see "far away" it is not useful.  However, it works for now.  In the new library we want to have very large monitors suspended from the ceiling around the rooms that patrons can view without having to walk up to a desktop monitor.  We knew we could accomplish that, but then had the idea that it would be nice to have other data display on that screen as well to promote programs, news, etc.  We solicited a preliminary quote for what AV needs we wanted and our city's regular AV vendor provided us with prices on a Crestor MediaManager system.  Here are my questions:

Has anyone had any experience with the Crestor MediaManager system?

Does your library currently have a comparable system that displays rotating current information for patrons on a screen?  If so, what system is that and how do you like it?

We have written up a preliminary RFP since this is a large purchase and are unsure of what is available out there.  Any information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tina Scott

 <mailto:web4lib at webjunction.org>

Library Systems Administrator
Portsmouth Public Library
601 Court St., Portsmouth, VA 23704
757-393-8501, x32      Fax: 757-397-4235
http://www.portsmouthpubliclibrary.org/