[Web4lib] FW: Drupal for library staff intranet?

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Mon May 19 16:11:49 EDT 2008

Please see the quote...

Cary Gordon, MLS
The Cherry Hill Company
http://www.chillco.com

I'm riding my bicycle 545 miles from June 1-7, 2008 to end AIDS.
Find out how you can help at http://www.aidslifecycle.org/5312

On May 19, 2008, at 7:26 AM, VanderHart, Robert wrote:

> 1) Would Drupal be "overkill" for our needs that I've expressed above,
> especially for an intranet used by 40 people?

Drupal would be a great fit for that application.

> 2) Would there be a huge need for me, as the admin, to be up to
> snuff on
> PHP to even consider deploying Drupal?

You don't need to know any PHP, unless you are developing your own
functionality. To develop themes, you might need a little PHP. To
develop an original module to interact with with your ILS, say, you
will need a pretty good handle on PHP as well as an understanding of
the Drupal development approach.

> 3) Are there other software solutions you might suggest?  I know about
> FarCry, an open-source CF-based CMS; has anyone used that?

I have used FarCry, and it really isn't in the same category. FarCry
might be appropriate if you have a lot of resources in ColdFusion, and
were willing to build your CMS using their toolkit. Drupal lets you
get started with a simple site OOTB. You can then build on that by
using some of the three thousand contributed modules. Then, if that
doesn't get you what you need, you can add in your own tools.

Like FarCry, and unlike Joomla, Drupal is a developer friendly
framework. Unlike FarCry (and like Joomla) Drupal gives you something
OOTB.