[Web4lib] What to call the links

Steve Cramer SMCRAMER smcramer at uncg.edu
Tue May 6 16:58:06 EDT 2008

Sure, many libraries save the logs for their catalog, journal
finder/Serials Solution-type product, etc. Sometimes a library will just
focus on "no hit" searches to focus on the failed search attempts. This
can also be a good collection development exercise -- what don't you
provide access to that people are indeed looking for?

I must say it's pretty cool to that a search of the Web4Lib archive for "
Einsturzende Neubauten" will now get a hit! (well, two now)

--Steve
Steve Cramer
Librarian for Accounting, Apparel, Business, & Economics
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
smcramer at uncg.edu ; 336-256-0346
AIM: stevebizlib ; Google Talk: stevebizlib at gmail.com

Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>
Sent by: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
05/06/2008 08:02 AM

web4lib at webjunction.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Web4lib] What to call the links

Michelle Watson wrote:

> We placed basic search functionality directly on the home page,
> along with links to more in depth searching if necessary.

Do any libraries store and analyze the search expressions that
their users type in?  I don't know, but I can imagine, that this
would be a major part of what search engine companies do.

If I go to http://catalog.loc.gov/ and search for the author
Einstien (note the subtle misspelling), I get a hit list starting
with Einsturzende Neubauten, Einsweiler, EINTAD, and Einthoven.

The same search on Google yields the suggestion "did you mean
Einstein?" and the top two hits in the list are on Einstein,
before the misspelled web pages start to appear.

It would be interesting to learn how many typed Einstien into the
catalog search, compared to how many correctly typed Einstein.

It's impressive of course that not a single book at LoC is
cataloged under this misspelling.  But perhaps librarians are
overly occupied with spell checking catalog records, in proportion
to looking at what search expressions their users enter.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)