[Web4lib] What to call the links

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue May 6 12:51:19 EDT 2008

Bernhard Eversberg wrote:

> Will anyone who doesn't know how to spell the name be able
> to understand the theory of relativity?

This was a common attitude towards dyslexia in the 1980s, but no
more.  Einstein is a German name, you're German, and I speak
German well enough not to do *this* mistake, but we only have to
move to Puschkin (German), Pusjkin (Swedish), Pushkin (English),
Pouchkine (French), Puskin (Hungarian) to get into deep water. LoC
catches Puschkin with a "more info" record, but misses the less
common Scandinavian spelling Pusjkin.

> But seriously, a search engine like Google's is inundated with
> requests for popular stuff, and with _much_ larger numbers of
> requests, so their basis for a statistical analysis of typing
> errors is lots better. You _need_ enormous numbers of both
> documents and queries to do a good job at this.

What you're implying here is that local library catalogs are
doomed and, in order to achieve useful results, catalog searches
have to be aggregated into giants like OCLC, where an economy of
scale can be reached for proper search query analysis.

Worldcat.org finds several book titles misspelled Einstien.
Still, not even Worldcat suggests that I might want to search for
Einstein.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)