[Web4lib] What to call the links

Michelle Watson michelle.watson at deakin.edu.au
Tue May 6 03:53:00 EDT 2008

Hi Elizabeth,

We grappled with similar issues when we redesigned our website a
couple of years ago.

We placed basic search functionality directly on the home page, along
with links to more in depth searching if necessary. The link to the
catalogue is labelled 'More options' - we avoided using the word
'catalogue', because we felt that the word came loaded with
preconceived ideas about what's in a catalogue - i.e. owned physical
things like books, journals and videos. When people click on the link
they get to a broader pool of resources including databases. We
wanted to convey to our users that "this is where you go to get
access to everything" regardless of the actual database it's housed
in. So I suppose our reluctance to use the word 'catalogue' was
partly of a conceptual nature.

If you do change the word 'catalogue' to something else expect to get
some flak from users. When we went live with the site there was quite
a bit of angst, particularly from lecturers, who wanted to know how
to get to the catalogue. When faced with change some users don't
adapt very well and seem to resent having to click around and explore
new links, so they simply won't do it. We know we still don't have
things quite right as some users don't realise there is additional
search functionality outside of the home page. They think what's on
the home page is all there is and that they're being robbed of
functionality when in reality it's the opposite. We'll be doing more
usability testing and redesign work over the next months to address
those issues.

Elsewhere in the website we were also conscious of avoiding jargon,
and found the John Kupersmith website to be helpful. We also did a
card sorting exercise which involved students and staff creating
their own labels for different categories.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Michelle.

At 11:21 AM 1/05/2008, Suelzer, Elizabeth wrote:
>The library I work at is undergoing a site redesign. In the hopes of
>making the site more user friendly, we want to get away from using
>library terminology (when appropriate) and use terms that are more
>intuitive to our students. An example of this would be labeling the link
>to the catalog as "search for books" instead of "catalog," or saying
>"borrow from other libraries" rather that "interlibrary loan."
>

>In your opinions, would this be helpful for college students, or do you
>feel that the term "catalog" is intuitive enough.  Will I be dumbing
>down our site, or will I make it easier to use? Also, do you have
>examples of how you have changed the language on your site to make it
>less librarianese and more consumer friendly?
>

>Thank you.
>

>Elizabeth Suelzer
>suelzer at msoe.edu <mailto:suelzer at msoe.edu>

Michelle Watson, Web Cataloguing Librarian, Library
+ Deakin University Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia.
( Phone: 03 5227 8220 International: +61 3 5227 8220
( Fax: 03 5227 8000 International: +61 3 5227 8000
: E-mail: michelle at deakin.edu.au
: Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B (Vic), 02414F (NSW)

Important Notice: The contents of this email transmission, including
any attachments, are intended solely for the named addressee and are
confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the
contents and any attachments is expressly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please delete it and any
attachments from your system immediately and advise the sender by
return email or telephone.
Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any
attachments are error or virus free.