[Web4lib] Weeding Reference Books Based on Free Online resourcesavailable?

Marcie Pierson Mpierson at cwmars.org
Fri May 2 10:23:05 EDT 2008

For me, the issue isn't which books are duplicated online for free (or otherwise, like through a licensed database). The issue is more, can *similar* information be found online? What databases does your library subscribe to? Which reference books do you never touch? Which books do you not touch but which you might need to have because of their uniqueness? How proficient are you and your staff at searching online, and how confident are you that you can still answer questions if a particular book is gone? How much does your circulating collection overlap, either directly or indirectly, your reference collection? What is your book budget like - can you afford to keep updating certain reference books, especially multivolume sets?

Really, weeding reference is not much different than weeding the circulating collection except that you don't have the check-out stats. Outdated, superceded, worn items should be removed. Whether you replace or update such items is up to your library. (My experience has been in public libraries so perhaps some details differ from university libraries, but as long as you can get current, relevant, authoritative information, the kind of source, print or otherwise, shouldn't really matter.)

I recently went through a heavy reference weeding project in preparation for a building renovation, so feel free to email me directly if you have more questions and I'll answer as best I can: mpierson at cwmars.org

Marcie Pierson
Reference Librarian
Grafton Public Library
35 Grafton Common