[Web4lib] What to call the links

Sutherland, Michael msutherland at montana.edu
Thu May 1 16:33:28 EDT 2008

Elizabeth,

A lot of research has been directed at examining just what you are
asking.  For example,

McGillis, L. & Toms, E.G. (2001). Usability of the Academic Library Web
Site: implications for design. College and Research Libraries. 62(4),
355-67.

Abstract: McGillis and Toms conducted a study that assessed the
usability of an academic library web site in order to understand how
typical users, defined as students and faculty, completed typical tasks.
They discovered that patrons experienced difficulty understanding where
to begin to seek resolution to information queries because the library
web site reflected traditional library structures. As a result, McGillis
and Toms concluded that the library web site failed because the site's
design did not account for how typical users approach information
problems; although students and faculty using the site completed
seventy-five percent of typical tasks within an acceptable time frame.
In order for the site to help users complete their information tasks
more successfully, the pair recommended employing a systematic,
user-centered approach to web development. The authors also note that
library users are completing many personal activities online and
transferring those experiences onto the library web site with the
consequence that users come to have similar expectations of the library
web site.

You also might find this web site useful, if you haven't found it
already - http://www.jkup.net/terms.html by John Kupersmith, which has
some information and resources regarding the wording we librarians use
on our websites.

I personally like the University of California at Berkeley Library Web
site http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ - a great example of attempting to
move away from traditional library structures and use more natural
language vocabulary to describe information resources and services
offered on the library web site.

I think that anything you can do to help students more easily find
information and complete information seeking tasks will be helpful.
Another suggestion - recently at Computers in Libraries, Pinky Lush and
another librarian from Penn State spoke about how they built another web
page using widgets specifically targeted for freshman users because they
discovered that their main page was built more for advanced information
seekers.  This is an intriguing idea - building pages aimed at a target
audience.

I hope you find this useful,

Michael Sutherland

Michael Sutherland
Web Services Librarian/Assistant Professor
Montana State University Libraries
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT, USA 59717-3320
Ph: (406) 994-6429