[Web4lib] Next Kete Community Meeting in Auckland, April 8th

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Tue Mar 25 18:40:45 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

We have scheduled our next Kete Community Meeting in Auckland on April
8th (if you have never heard of Kete, see the "What is Kete?" blurb at
the end of this email or http://kete.net.nz/). You can find details
about it here:

http://kete.net.nz/site/topics/show/149-kete-community-day-in-auckland

We've also created a topic where you can have your say in helping us
shape the programme for the day, it can be found here:

http://kete.net.nz/site/topics/show/150-kete-day-programme-8th-april-2008

If you are interested in finding out more about the Kete software or
already a member of the Kete community we hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Walter McGinnis
Kete Project Lead
Katipo Communications, Ltd.

---
What is Kete?
Kete is an Open Source Ruby on Rails application, released under the
GPL. Initial development has been a partnership between the Horowhenua
Library Trust and Katipo Communications Ltd. funded as part of the
Community Partnership Fund in 2006.

Kete stores, organises, indexes and retrieves all sorts of digital
files including Office documents, PDF's, images, videos, audio such as
spoken word and music, website links, and html pages/text.

Kete encourages you to make links between different items that enable
users to browse your collection. It also faciltates discussion about
items and topics, so you can build understanding and foster
collaboration.

Kete by default is open so that any member of the community can
participate by adding material, or editing entries.

You can make some items private, and some public, and you can make
some areas open to public input, and others "view only".

You can collect lots of detailed information about a "thing" whether
that be a person, or a document, or picture, or you can not require a
lot at all.