[Web4lib] Is a new browser window always a no-no?

Jon Gorman jonathan.gorman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:25:49 EDT 2008

A couple of issues:

First, many browsers block popups.  Most are smat enough to allow
popups from the same domain, but you might still run into issues.
Popup ads are generally regarded with loathing.  There are also
navigation issues with separate windows.  Many, many users maximize
their windows.  In this case if that initial window isn't constructed
carefully and you don't make sure to have it always gain focus when
someone selects a link, it can be confusing as the links appear to do
nothing, since they're changing the link but nothing is changing in
the window they are looking at.

I do remember reading some reports way back that many people were not
familiar with the back button which is why it was always recommend for
people to have "outs".  Still not a bad idea, but I seem to remember
some reports that suggest more people are comfortable with the
navigation elements and tend to actually prefer bouncing around.

In the end, I think pop up might be useful in this case, but I do
wonder if the use you're imagining is going to be the case.  Are users
really going to be going through the new books list and requesting so
many books that opening another window will be quicker and easier?  To
tell the truth, I'd try to do some very rough testing.  Make up a
version of the booklist that does what you like.  Try to get a variety
of people to try it out and watch over their shoulder and see if they
have any confusion.  Don't tell them the mechanism and do it on their
computers and any of the library computers.  Actual patrons would be
ideal, but otherwise a variety of staff is good as well.

Jon Gorman