[Web4lib] access and error logs

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Mar 3 09:11:16 EST 2008

I use webalizer on a nightly cron job to append to the webalizer statistics.
There is another cron job that keeps up to 4 of the Apache's most current log
files although webalizer only looks at the current log so I assume there is
minimum lose when the current log file is archived before webalizer runs.  I
have kept all webalizer reports since I started using webalizer some years
ago because they don't take a whole lot of room.  webalizer only shows the
past 12 months but months beyond the previous 12 can be viewed using the same
syntax as any month within the past 12 months just change the year parameter
in the URL.

Thomas

On Friday 29 February 2008 18:12, Sutherland, Michael wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was looking for information on typical procedure for holding onto
> access and error logs for a web server and searched the web4lib archive.
> According to those posts from April of 2000, it looked as though
> respondents held onto those for quite some time (at least 5 years).  I'm
> wondering if that is still common practice to archive these logs? What
> is 'typical', if you will, practice for web server administrators to do
> with those logs and is there any documentation for that practice? I'm
> sure it's different for each library depending on your record management
> protocols, but I'm curious about common procedure for keeping this
> information.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration,
> Michael
>
> -------------------------------------
> Michael Sutherland
> Web Services Librarian
> Montana State University Libraries
> P.O. Box 173320
> Bozeman, MT, USA 59717-3320
> Ph: (406) 994-6429
> msutherland at montana.edu

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messsaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/