[Web4lib] logins

Karen Merguerian nls2 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 21:20:50 EDT 2008

David Cloutman wrote:

> Subject: RE: [Web4lib] logins
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:27:18 -0700
> From: DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
> To: llight at herrickdl.org; web4lib at webjunction.org
> CC:
>
> You have several options here.
>
> 1. WAM - This is bundled with III. It may be an enhancement that is
> purchased separately. It is what our consortium runs, and our library
> uses it for our proxy, for the time being.

We are using WAM with LDAP at the Northeastern University Libraries.  WAM has an option
that can be set by the library such that, if users are logged into their library account, they may
click over into licensed databases without having to re-log in.

However, the reverse scenario--which I believe was the desired one--is not supported in WAM.
AFAIK, WAM does not allow someone logged into the databases to connect
to their library account without logging in again.  (To be sure by the way,
you should check with iii--the options may differ in a consortium setting.)

While I appreciate the larger goal, maybe on the plus side, if a user walks away
from an authenticated database session, the next person to sit down at that
machine would not be able to click over to the catalog and automatically be logged in to see the first user's
personal or borrowing information.  The reverse scenario, where someone leaves a personal
account open on the screen for others to find, is less likely, isn't it?

G. Karen Merguerian
Library Web Manager
Northeastern University Libraries
Boston, MA