[Web4lib] "Is Google Making Us Stupid? What the Internet isdoing to our brains"

Phillips, Carrie phillipsc at bluffton.edu
Fri Jun 20 14:04:15 EDT 2008

Elizabeth,

You might be interested in reading at least chapter 6 from David M. Levy's _Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age_. This particular chapter, titled, "Reading and Attention," gets at the very idea you mention in your message.  Read the whole book if you can - I think it's fantastic, and a great read.  Levy goes into even more detail about this idea and contemplation and the speed of life, etc as he traces the concept of "the document" throughout history and across cultures.  As I read Carr's article on Google, I immediate thought back to this book and found several connections in chapter six.  Levy was one of my professors at the University of Washington's Information School.

To hear David Levy speak about this topic, you can listen/watch the Google (*gasp!*) Tech Talk he gave this past March - "No Time To Think."  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGcvj3JiGA

Carrie Phillips
Archives & Special Collections Librarian
Musselman Library
Bluffton University
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH  45817