[Web4lib] RefWorks support questions

Laherty, Jennifer jlaherty at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 20 08:54:54 EDT 2008

Posted to Dig_Ref and Web4Lib (apologies for the duplication)

We are contemplating a RefWorks subscription and are curious if anyone with RefWorks would respond to the following questions:

What is the workload for administering RefWorks - especially:  How much time to you devote to user account maintenance?  And if you provide other technical support, we'd appreciate any elaboration.

How have you dealt with students or faculty who have graduated or left your institution?  Have people complained about losing access to their citations?  Or are you able to continue providing access in some manner?  Please explain.
Do you explain to people using RefWorks ahead of time (at what point and how) that they will not have access if they leave unless their next institution provides RefWorks?  Do you have some way of knowing who with accounts is leaving and then do you share methods of how they can download and take their citations with them (also at what point and how)?  We're concerned about our alumni population as well as faculty who retire or go elsewhere.

Who at your institution provides the teaching support for RefWorks (and possibly other bibliographic citation management tools) and how extensive is the support (handouts, web pages, whole class sessions, etc.)?  We currently provide very in-depth support from the library for EndNote and we're wondering what others do to support RefWorks.

Many thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Laherty
Reference/Digital Services Librarian
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries
Wells Library E159
Bloomington, IN  47405
812-855-5609