[Web4lib] visitor/guest card policy

Anthony Fitzwater AFitzwater at AJCity.Net
Thu Jun 19 16:20:59 EDT 2008

We consider those who do not qualify for a free library card to be
guests (unless they want to pay the out of county fee of $40 per year).
If a patron is a guest, they can obtain a temporary computer usage card
for $1 a week.  The temporary card gives the patron the ability to use
our wireless service or use our public computers.  They cannot check any
materials out on the card.

If the patron already has a library card and has too many fines to use
the computer then they can still get a temporary card for $1 a week.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Bracken, Karen
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:09 PM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: [Web4lib] visitor/guest card policy

I am in the process of rewriting the guest card policy for our public
library system and would be interested in reviewing guest card policies
from other library systems.  I am most interested in the one day use
cards primarily for computers and printing, but plan to address our fee
card policy as well.

What I am looking for are libraries that charge for a guest pass: How
much?  What are the criteria? Do you issue a guest pass to regular
library card holders if they want more computer time?  Do you issue a
guest pass to regular library card holders if their card is over the
fine limit? Etc.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You can send these to me directly to me at

kbracken at riversideca.gov

Karen Bracken

Digital Systems Spec.

951-.826-.5214