[Web4lib] "Is Google Making Us Stupid? What the Internet is doing to our brains"

Carl W Feucht cwf at mac.com
Thu Jun 19 08:11:55 EDT 2008

Is *it* lost? Perhaps it is just us struggling for balance whilst we
juggle terabytes upon this mortal coil.

Your point, as well as a conversation I had earlier in the day, with
my Head of English, brought forth a conversation I had many years ago
- another lifetime, actually - amid a biodynamic vegetable patch on
the island of Hawai'i with a preeminent botanist and Hawaiian elder, a
woman every bit as humble as she was wise, concerning the arrival of
the Christian missionaries to Hawai'i.

Steeling myself to rise upon my toes and dance through the matter of
cultural imperialism, she suddenly disarmed me entirely by stating her
position:  The peril of western religiosity was muted by their
bequesting a writing system upon the archipelago. In her opinion, up
to that point in the history of humankind, the burden presented by
orally transmitting the accumulated knowledge of her ancestors had
become so great a stress to the kahuna class of scholars that any sins
due to Christian proselytizing ought rightly to be absolved by their
blessing the Hawai'ian culture with literacy.

Put that in perspective. By definition, history is said to begin with
the written record and yet writing came to Hawai'i in 1820. How many
centuries of oral traditions had accumulated by that recent date
amongst such an advanced people? Sure, we all teeter under the crush
of email, data this, and data that, but it could be worse- at least
it's other than *just* an oral crush ;-)

Carl