[Web4lib] library blog statistics

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 20:43:16 EDT 2008

Ed,

I'll suggest that it's unlikely that such statistics exist, if only because
there's no good way to know what/where all such blogs are.

When I studied the situation in mid-2007 for Public Library Blogs: 252
Examples, I found 252 English-language blogs from 196 public libraries that:
a. Had been around since at least December 2006
b. Were active enough to have at least one post in two of the three months
March, April, and May 2007.

20 of those libraries are outside the U.S. (mostly in Canada), leaving 176
libraries out of however many libraries/library systems there are. (9,040
central libraries?) That's about 2%--but it's possible that I missed
hundreds of other public library blogs. It's also possible that there are
many, many more now than there were then...

I'd be surprised (but not shocked) if more than 20% of American public
libraries have active blogs. I wouldn't be surprised if 5% do...
-walt crawford-