[Web4lib] Summer Reading Program - Online Registration & Book Log

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Mon Jun 9 14:31:26 EDT 2008

The lack of the SSL certificate is the least of your problems. Users do
not need a password to login to their account. Anyone who knows the name
of a child and their birthday can log in as that child!

Under other circumstances, I wouldn't be too concerned about encryption
of what is relatively insensitive data, but because you're passing
around names and birthdays, you are starting to get into the realm where
identity theft could become an issue. Because you're doing this, you
probably should encrypt the data. (I don't know why someone would steal
a child's identity, but I always expect crooks to do the unexpected. The
best scams are always novel.) Next time you should stick to the standard
username / password combo. It is the standard in authentication for good
reason.

That aside, you can implement SSL without purchasing a certificate. You
simply need to generate your own certificate. The browser will simply
say that the certificate is unverified, and the user will have to either
accept or deny the certificate. If they accept, you will achieve the
encryption benefit of SSL. How you do this is documented on the Web, but
will be unique to the SSL software that your Web server is using.

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian
Marin County Free Library