[Web4lib] recommendations sought for online database software

Jarvis, Hugh hjarvis at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:30:30 EDT 2008

I am contemplating building a database, and looking for advice of what
software to use.  It will primarily be used online, by people around our
university, to search and display information that our office compiles
from other sources.

We keep track of 'facts' about UB (how many students, how much money on
research, how many people in the region, how many countries have
academic ties with UB, etc).  These data get used eventually in web
sites, slide shows, reports, and other marketing projects, and we want
to ensure people use the most recent and correct facts.

I picture someone going to a web site and searching or scrolling through
the 'facts', then clicking through to read more (when it was updated,
when it expires, who's authority it is based on, etc.).

There would be under a thousand entries, each with perhaps a dozen
attributes.

No images or complex details to worry about except perhaps a link or
mailias built on the fly.

Something easy to set up, easy to maintain, easy to add data to, and
easy to search/display online.

Ideally out of the box and even free ware, but doesn't have to be.

Appreciate any suggestions..?

Thanks,

                Hugh

(I did cross-post this, so apologies in advance if you see it twice.)

Hugh Jarvis (PhD, MLS)

Cybrarian, University Communications

330 Crofts Hall -- University at Buffalo

Buffalo, NY USA 14260-7015

Ph: 716-645-5000 x1428

Fax: 716-645-6969

Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)

Please consider the impact to the environment before printing this
e-mail.