[Web4lib] web design/SEO

Danielle Plumer dplumer at tsl.state.tx.us
Tue Jul 29 16:08:17 EDT 2008

Matt Cutts from Google has a lot of SEO material on his blog, "Gadgets, Google, and SEO" (http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/). He also put together some video tutorials a couple of years ago that are worth looking at: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=matt+cutts

He also recently posted a video interview (http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/free-search-engine-optimizatio-tips/) done by Jefferson Graham, who published an article on SEO in USA Today last month (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2008-06-22-google-search-engine-optimization_N.htm). The videos aren't professionally produced, by any stretch of the imagination, but the advice is good.

More philosophically, Peter Morville's "Ambient Findability" does a good job of explaining what makes some sites findable, which in my experience translates into good ranking.

Danielle Cunniff Plumer, Coordinator
Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
512.463.5852 (phone) / 512.936.2306 (fax)
dplumer at tsl.state.tx.us