[Web4lib] How completely are you crawled?

Danielle Plumer dplumer at tsl.state.tx.us
Wed Jul 16 18:50:14 EDT 2008

Roy,

This is a topic that comes up frequently on the SEO lists and blogs. There's a good discussion at http://seo-theory.com/wordpress/2008/04/10/large-web-site-design-theory-and-crawl-management/

In a 2006 blog post, Google's Matt Cutts answered the question:

Q: "My sitemap has about 1350 urls in it. . . . . its been around for 2+ years, but I cannot seem to get all the pages indexed. Am I missing something here?"
A: One of the classic crawling strategies that Google has used is the amount of PageRank on your pages. So just because your site has been around for a couple years (or that you submit a sitemap), that doesn't mean that we'll automatically crawl every page on your site. In general, getting good quality links would probably help us know to crawl your site more deeply. You might also want to look at the remaining unindexed urls; do they have a ton of parameters (we typically prefer urls with 1-2 parameters)? Is there a robots.txt? Is it possible to reach the unindexed urls easily by following static text links (no Flash, JavaScript, AJAX, cookies, frames, etc. in the way)? That's what I would recommend looking at.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/q-a-thread-march-27-2006/

Last year, there was lots of concern about Google's Supplemental Index (aka "Google Hell" in the SEO community), which got more of the low PageRank pages, but Google stopped labeling pages as supplemental back in December. Submitting sitemaps was sometimes associated with a large number of pages in the supplemental index -- in fact, there were cases where webmasters claims that they had pages demoted to the supplemental index after submitting a sitemap.

Danielle Cunniff Plumer, Coordinator
Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
512.463.5852 (phone) / 512.936.2306 (fax)
dplumer at tsl.state.tx.us