[Web4lib] Re: Future of libraries - why people tag

Frances, Melodie mfrances at gtu.edu
Thu Jul 10 20:31:35 EDT 2008

I think it's presumptuous to say that people tag for one reason only - I
think that there are all kinds of reasons why a person might tag stuff -
and I definitely think that one of them would be for the pleasure /
power of being able to say what something is or what something is about
- quite honestly I have done that. I also don't think that tagging for
the greater good is something that 'shouldn't' be done although I would
definitely like to hear why you feel that way (not being sarcastic - I
really would like to know). I work at a theological library so there is
a lot of stuff that goes on here for the greater good (not all of it by
any means - but a lot - particularly as compared to the law library
where I worked before). Where I work in fact probably skews my opinions
on many of these things ... and not just philosophically, but in terms
of things as simple as 'our important scholarship goes back 4000+ years
... '

Melodie Morgan Frances
Head of Cataloging
Graduate Theological Union