[Web4lib] RE: Open source support models

Caitlin Nelson cnelson at hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 10 17:06:14 EDT 2008

Karen G. Schneider wrote:
"Just to clarify, there are (at least) three companies now providing
support for open source library software: Equinox for Evergreen, Liblime
for Koha, and Media Flex for OPALS. These follow similar models to
companies outside LibraryLand such as Red Hat for Linux and Acquia for
Drupal, where you pay for support, development, migration, etc., but the
code is free and open.

I realize that this information is just now seeping out into the broader
consciousness of LibraryLand and there is still a perception in some areas
that "open source" means "tightrope with no nets." You certainly CAN
download, install, and maintain OSS library software on your own, but you
don't HAVE to. (There are even hosted models.)"

I thought I would chime in as a librarian in a single-librarian small
college library.  I'm fairly proficient in web and computer technology,
familiar enough with installation processes on Windows, Mac and Linux, and I
have a strong interest in learning more.  We recently wanted to install Koha
on VMWare for our collection of 1200 monographs, and I tell you I'm having a
heck of a time!  It's taken me two weeks of daily tweaking to even get the
thing installed, let alone working (z3950 is still nonoperational, among
other things).

I contacted LibLime for support options at the beginning of this process and
received a price quote that was 2/3 of my entire (meager) yearly budget.
When I contacted them back about any support options for less, I never heard
back.  I'm not saying this to malign LibLime, but only to illustrate the
difficulties small libraries with few staff and small budgets face.  In
fact, I do HAVE to install it on my own if I want to use it, because I can't
afford to pay anyone else to do it.

Yes, there are community support options (the koha wiki, kohadocs, the
mailing list, etc) but those answers are limited in nature, and not
necessarily personalized.  I don't have to use Koha in the first place - but
that seems sort of defeatist.

My point, I guess, is that it is still very hard for librarians with small
budgets and no training to work with Open Source products.  The only
solution I see right now is to /become/ that person who can offer support to
others.  I'd love to start some kind of local community group support for
Koha with other librarians in my area, but I have to first get my own act
together and train myself, and it's a long frustrating road.

Caitlin Nelson
Interim Librarian
TransPacific Hawaii College
Honolulu HI