[Web4lib] Re: Future of Libraries

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Jul 8 15:18:35 EDT 2008

From: Stewart Baker

> Maybe a group of "design-savvy" and "tech-savvy" librarians could put together
> an easy-to-implement template for use by smaller libraries?
> Something open-source that you could just stick on your web server and then fill in the blanks.

This assumes that a library can even host their own web server which most definitely is not the case for the smallest or even some not-so-small public libraries. And I won't even get into the "political" issues of working with city or county IT departments to implement something like this on "their" server.

That's one advantage of something like Plinkit (as Carol mentioned). It's a complete web-hosting, support, and training solution. Other similar statewide projects include PLOW (http://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/ld/plow) in Iowa, E-branch in a Box (http://help.lili.org/) in Idaho, Utah's project (http://utahlibraries.org/), and PLOT (http://plot.bclibrary.ca/) out of British Columbia.

Cheers,
Darci

Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant * Library Development Services
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us

 Ask me about Plinkit! http://www.plinkit.org/ http://oregon.plinkit.org